Hello, Baker!

You know, of all the things I’ve baked, of all the recipes I’ve ever tried, I do not believe I have ever actually attempted to make my own chocolate chip cookies. There have been, of course, the many occasions that I’d make the store bought, frozen dough kind or just use the cookie dough that my mom made for us to eat, but I can’t recall ever actually making my own cookies. I suppose it’s because I always thought that chocolate chip cookies were too generic. How unoriginal and boring of me to make chocolate chip cookies, right? Everyone and their dog makes chocolate chip cookies so why should I? Well I obviously had no idea just how great Alton Brown’s recipe for “The Chewy” was because if I had I for sure would have made these a long time ago! I don’t know why it took me so long to jump onto “The Chewy” bandwagon given the recent significant increase in chocolate chip cookie posts thanks to Joy’s experiment and the NY Times’ article. I’m so glad I finally made these too because they are FANTASTIC!

Now of course, knowing me and my baking addiction, I couldn’t possibly just stop with cookies. I had to make something else, something to add to my chocolate chip cookie theme. That’s when it hit me! Why not try my own version of the chocolate chip cookie dough cupcakes? They’d been on the top of my ‘Future Things to Bake’ list for ages so this was the perfect opportunity to finally commit to baking them. I already had the cookie dough so all I needed was to find all of the extra components that I would need in order to make things happen.

My first thought was to make brown sugar cupcakes because the dough of chocolate chip cookies uses mainly brown sugar vs. white, granulated sugar. Not only did brown sugar cupcakes sound enticing, but these cupcakes would also remain very moist for a while due to the molasses in the brown sugar trying to draw in moisture. This is baking science 101, kids, and very handy at that!

Now what was next to figure out? Oh, yes! What kind of frosting would I use? Well, I had seen on sites such as How To Eat A Cupcake that they actually combined cookie dough into a vanilla flavored frosting. How ingenious was that! As Jamieanne from The Cupcake Review had noted, the frosting seemed very similar to that of chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream and was a perfect way to compliment the brown sugar cupcakes. Of course, fearing for disease from raw egg in cookie dough that would be sitting out on cupcakes, like any right minded person should, I went and made an extra cookie dough that contained no eggs at all. No eggs, then no worries! All that was left was to bake mini versions of “The Chewy” to place on top of every cupcake in order to give them that last perfect touch.

Chocolate Chip Cookies

Alton Brown’s “The Chewy”

(Recipe from Alton Brown)

• 2 sticks unsalted butter
  • 2-1/4 cups bread flour
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1-1/4 cups brown sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 2 tablespoons milk
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips

Note: You can actually watch Alton Brown’s chocolate chip cookie episode on youtube to see how a few changes to one recipe can produce either a thin, crispy, or chewy cookie: Part 1 | Part 2

**The dough placed in the cupcakes MUST be frozen in order to produce that nice gooey cookie dough center. You DO NOT want the dough to actually bake into a cookie.  Also remember to save some of the dough for your mini chocolate chip cookies to be used as decoration at the end!**

1. Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
  2. Melt the butter in a heavy-bottom medium saucepan over low heat. Sift together the flour, salt, and baking soda and set aside.
  3. Pour the melted butter in the mixer’s work bowl. Add the sugar and brown sugar. Cream the butter and sugars on medium speed. Add the egg, yolk, 2 tablespoons milk and vanilla extract and mix until well combined. Slowly incorporate the flour mixture until thoroughly combined. Stir in the chocolate chips.

For the dough center: Place dough in the freezer until it is firm enough to be rolled up into nice little balls. Take dough out, roll them into whatever size you desire (mine were probably as large as How To Eat A Cupcake’s) and then place back into freezer until completely frozen (I believe I did this step the night before when I made the dough).

For cookies: Chill the dough, then scoop onto parchment-lined baking sheets, 6 cookies per sheet. Bake for 14 minutes or until golden brown, checking the cookies after 5 minutes. Rotate the baking sheet for even browning. Cool completely and store in an airtight container. (For the mini cookies, I literally rolled up unbelievably tiny balls of cookie dough and then watched them like a hawk while baking. I cannot recall how long they took, but it shouldn’t have been too long.)

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cupcakes

Brown Sugar Cupcakes

(Recipe from Cupcake Bakeshop. Makes about 12 cupcakes)

• 3/4 cup (1-1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 3/4 cup light brown sugar
  • 2 large eggs, room temperature
  • 1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Beat butter on high until soft, about 30 seconds.
  3. Add sugar. Beat on medium-high until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
  4. Add eggs one at a time, beat for 30 seconds after each.
  5. Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl.
  6. Measure out milk and vanilla together.
  7. Add about a fourth of the flour to the butter/sugar mixture and beat to combine.
  8. Add about one third the milk/vanilla mixture and beat until combined.
  9. Repeat above, alternating flour and milk and ending with the flour mixture.
  10. Place previously prepared frozen cookie dough ball (mine were fairly big) into cup liners, then fill about half to three-quarters full of cupcake batter.
  11. Bake for 20-22 minutes until golden and the cake springs back when lightly touched. (Testing by using a toothpick would be insufficient because of the gooey cookie dough in the center).

Cookie Dough Frosting

(Recipe from The Cupcake Review. Makes enough to frost 12 cupcakes.)

• 1-3/4 cups confectioners sugar
  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter, chilled
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 tablespoon milk
  • Eggless cookie dough (recipe below)
  1. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine 1-1/4 cups confectioners’ sugar, unsalted butter, salt, and vanilla, scraping down the sides of the bowl with a spatula as necessary.
  2. Add milk and continue mixing until well combined, scraping down the sides of the bowl with a spatula, as necessary. With the mixer running, slowly add remaining 1/2 cup confectioners sugar, mix until well combined.
  3. At this point you can mix in the eggless cookie dough. Mix in enough cookie dough to suit your taste. Any cookie dough leftover you can gladly eat! There are no eggs in it so it is safe. Yum!

Eggless Cookie Dough

(Recipe from How To Eat A Cupcake)

• 1/4 cup butter, softened
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar, plus 2 tablespoons
  • 2 teaspoons water
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1/2 cup flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/3 cup mini chocolate chips (optional)
  1. Cream the butter and brown sugar in a small bowl. Add water and vanilla and mix well. Add flour and salt and stir to combine. Stir in mini chocolate chips (optional).
  2. Store in refrigerator until ready to use.

Complete Assembly

This is just a little summary of what you should have done:

1. Make cookie dough balls and place them in the freezer until ready to be used.
  2. Insert a ball of cookie dough into each cupcake liner before baking.
  3. Mix vanilla buttercream frosting with eggless cookie dough to create cookie dough frosting.
  4. Allow cupcakes to cool, then pipe on cookie dough frosting.
  5. Decorate by sprinkling on mini chocolate chips and topping with a mini chocolate chip cookie.

Viola! Cupcakes that not only taste like cookie dough, but also have the look of a cookie! These cupcakes can store for multiple days and will remain moist due to the brown sugar, but I’d still suggest eating them as soon as possible. Then again, who couldn’t resist gobbling these blessings up as soon as they can? They’re much too good to just stare at it! Definitely make these for your friends and loved ones and they will LOVE YOU forever!

Popularity: 92% [?]

31 Comments

1. Joe on October 2, 2008 10:59 am

these look amazingggggg. looks like a lot of work for a cupcake, but I’m sure it’s worth it.

2. Ingrid on October 2, 2008 11:22 am

I just love, Love, LOVE how GOOD your cupcakes look. Your photos are FANTASTIC! I bet tasted OUT of this WORLD. I want one with a huge icy cold jug, a glass of milk!
    ~ingrid

3. Nina on October 2, 2008 3:48 pm

These look like a lot of work ,but truly amazing! Good job!

4. Jamieanne on October 2, 2008 4:48 pm

Wow, your cookie dough cupcakes look AWESOME!!! So much better than mine, and I love the idea of the brown sugar cupcakes! I am so envious! I have heard rave reviews about Alton Brown’s chewy chocolate chip cookies, I just may have to give them a go soon. Thanks so much for linking me! :)

5. Rebecca on October 4, 2008 11:26 am

Joe, Nina – They were pretty time consuming, but definitely worth it! They were soooo good. In fact, they’re probably my favorite cupcakes yet!

Jamieanne – Aw welcome!~ I really wanted to try your frosting recipe when you said it reminded you of chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream. Others had used a cream cheese frosting as their base and I wasn’t sure if I wanted to do that.

6. megan on October 5, 2008 9:23 pm

that cookie dough frosting looks absolutely divine! i’m going to have to try these cupcakes right away :)

7. Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cupcakes « Holy Guacamolly! on October 6, 2008 3:47 pm

[...] 6, 2008 · No Comments I found this recipe online here. I immediately thought “chocolate chip cookie dough AND cupcakes?! what in life could be [...]

8. Peggy on October 11, 2008 4:48 pm

This definitely was a time consuming recipe, but I was surprised how well they turned out. I don’t know if my freezer wasn’t cold enough or what, but I baked the cupcakes for about 20 minutes and still ended up with the cookie dough baking in the cupcake… still quite delicious though.
    Thanks a lot!

9. ardie on November 13, 2008 4:45 pm

I tried these out, they were SOO good! I used the premade cookie dough that comes in little squares for each; it kinda melted and left a hole in the center of the cupcake, but tasted great.

thanks for the recipes and tips! :
    ~Ardie

10. Pam on November 16, 2008 1:38 pm

I made this yesterday and they were a huge hit! I was worried that the balls of cookie dough I used were too big, but I think I will use bigger ones next time. My cookie also cooked, but it was still killer. I’ll use mini chocolate chips for the mini cookies next time too since each cookie only got one chip. Thanks so much for sharing.

11. why don’t you: the holiday edition. « La Couturier on December 21, 2008 9:44 am

[...] these scrumptious looking Chocolate Chip Cookie Cupcakes? Or shall I call it the CCCC for [...]

12. Katie on January 28, 2009 7:13 pm

I found these cakes on a Flickr search and I’m sure glad I did!

What a fantastically detailed post! I don’t know whether to thank you or not, you’ve made it very easy to follow and because of that I’m going to HAVE to make them :D

They really look Fab!

Katie xox

13. Rebecca on January 28, 2009 7:30 pm

Aw! I’m so glad that you want to try them. They are rather time consuming, but it’s definitely worth it. Everyone that tried one was raving about how amazing they were.

14. howtoeatacupcake on February 9, 2009 10:40 pm

Mmmmmmmmmmm!!!

15. katy on February 16, 2009 11:14 pm

♥♥♥♥♥

16. meghan on March 3, 2009 7:17 pm

oh my gosh! i made these with my friend the other night…can i just say they were SINFULLY good? they should be outlawed there were delicous. there was literally cookie dough flavor that lingered with every bite — from the cupcake to the icing to the cookie on top. all of my friends loved them :) i will DEFINITELY make them again.
    one change i did make: using a yellow butter cake mix for the cupcakes and adding vanilla extract to that. it was pretty darn good. :)

17. Diana on April 6, 2009 1:30 pm

Try your cookie dough frosting on brownies (about 3/8 inch thick)!!! Yummy!!!!

18. Cookie Dough Delicious Cupcakes! | Young & Hungry on May 17, 2009 7:03 pm

[...] be a semi-homemade baker in the past, but I’m feeling inspired by the occasion and the original recipe which, of course, I will stray from at some points or many throughout my baking expedition. [...]

19. Rebecca on July 4, 2009 1:35 pm

test

20. sweetie on July 10, 2009 12:38 pm

hello, baker! i was in the middle of making these last night and realized that i was very confused about something in the directions: if the alton brown chewy cookie dough contains eggs and then is frozen before inserting it into the center of the cupcake before it’s baked, isn’t that a food hazard?

anyway, that was my concern so i made the eggless cookie dough and plopped that in the cupcakes instead. the cupcakes turned out fantastic. the eggless dough came together well although i might reduce the flour i used just a tad. my cupcakes were topped with vanilla american buttercream & mini chips but i definitely intend to revisit the recipe to do the full on cookie part too!

21. Warren on October 9, 2009 11:03 pm

Hello, baker!

22. meg on May 18, 2010 12:26 pm

i’ve been dying to try these out! expect these in my new blog soon ;) im sure they wont disappoint!

23. Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cupcakes « Spice Is Nice on March 27, 2011 10:32 am

[...] Slightly adapted from Annie’s Eats, inspired by Hello Baker [...]

24. Welcome to Lime Juice Sweet Treats Blog | LimeJuice Sweet Treats: Have your cupcake and eat it too! on April 12, 2011 2:20 pm

[...] inspired by Hello, Baker!, cake adapted from Cupcake Bakeshop, frosting adapted from The Cupcake Review and How to Eat a [...]

25. Chocolate Chip Cupcakes « Angie’s Simple Cooking on July 11, 2011 5:57 pm

[...] from: Hello Baker   (cupcakes) and KevinandAmanda (frosting) This entry was posted on Monday, July 11th, 2011 at 5:57 [...]

26. The Curvy Carrot » Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cupcakes on July 14, 2011 5:01 am

[...]  Recipe directly from Annie’s Eats.  Original recipe inspired by Hello, Baker!.  Original cake recipe adapted from Cupcake Bakeshop, frosting from The Cupcake Review and How to [...]

27. Chips Ahoy on the brain -cupcakes on July 30, 2011 12:32 pm

[...] dough frosting this time by making the “eggless cookie dough” recipe that I found here at Hello Bakerwhich is a great blog.My recipe for cookie dough frosting that I have made in the past is easier and [...]

28. Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cupcakes on August 22, 2011 3:38 pm

[...] Annie’s Eats (inspired by Hello, Baker!, cake adapted from Cupcake Bakeshop, frosting adapted from The Cupcake Review and How to Eat a [...]

29. Mindy on October 9, 2011 3:39 pm

I just made these this morning. They are fabulous and worth all the work that went into them. My husband who doesn’t usually eat cupcakes loved them!

30. hospital lancaster on November 10, 2011 8:15 pm

Awesome job on this post.

31. Dawn Robins on December 12, 2011 6:52 pm

Just wanted you to know… I made this into cake form and it was fantastic! Yummy.
    Come by my blog and check it out! Thanks!!!

Write a Comment