Hello, Baker!

TwD: Chocolate, Chocolate Cupcakes

[donotprint]

Once again it’s time for Tuesdays with Dorie and this week Clara of I Heart Food4Thought chose the Chocolate, Chocolate Cupcakes! These cupcakes are extra chocolatey because they are made with cocoa and melted chocolate, then covered in a luscious bittersweet chocolate glaze. I apparently missed the part where Clara urged us to decorate them in spirit of Halloween, but I guess that’s alright. Having never been a fan of Halloween, I secretly wouldn’t have wanted to do that anyways. Instead my double chocolate cupcakes were filled with toffee sauce (courtsey of Harry and David), covered in the chocolate glaze, frosted with white chocolate buttercream infused with a bit of toffee sauce, and then finally finished off with a drizzle of the sauce and mini chocolate chips.

As you can see here, there was a trend in the comments about the cake coming out dry, so I decided to alter the recipe a little bit. I didn’t exactly have time to make the original recipe in order to figure out what needed to be changed, so instead I blindly modified ingredients, crossing my fingers all the way. Luckily for me, my alterations proved to be a success because the cake came out fluffy and moist! However, I think if I ever planned to make this again, then I’d probably tweak a few more parts because it still wasn’t exactly what I had hoped for it to be.

[/donotprint]I decided to post my cupcake recipe because I altered it quite a bit, but for the chocolate glaze you will need to visit Clara’s website. Also, the toffee sauce I bought was premade from Harry and David, but I am sure that making something like Nigella’s Sticky Toffee Sauce would be just as good. I’d also assume that butterscotch would also work because it is so very similiar to toffee (the only difference is that the sugar is boiled to the soft crack stage for butterscotch and the hard crack stage for toffee). Then again, if you’re feeling extra lazy, then why not use caramel syrup?

Chocolate, Chocolate Cupcakes

(Adapted from Baking: From My Home to Yours)
Makes 12 cupcakes (I got around 16)

• 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (I used Valrhona)
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 large egg yolk
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 2 oz bittersweet chocolate, melted and cooled
  • 1/4 cup strong coffee or water
  1. Center a rack in the oven and preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare muffin pan with muffin cups or by greasing the pan.
  2. Whisk together the flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
  3. Working with a stand mixer, preferably fitted with a paddle attachment, or with a hand mixer in a large bowl, beat the butter at medium speed until soft and creamy.
  4. Add the sugars and beat for about 2 minutes, until it is blended into the butter. Add the egg, then the yolk, beating for 1 minute after each addition and scraping down the sides and bottom of the bowl with a rubber spatula as needed.
  5. Beat in the vanilla, then reduce the mixer speed to low and add half of the dry ingredients, mixing only until they disappear. Scrap down the bowl and add the sour cream and coffee, mixing until incorporated, then mix in the remaining dry ingredients.
  6. Scrape down the bowl, add the melted chocolate and mix it in with the rubber spatula. Divide the batter evenly among the muffin molds.
  7. Bake for 22 to 25 minutes (mine took 15-17), or until the tops of the cakes are dry and springy to the touch and a knife inserted into their centers comes out clean. Transfer the muffin pan to a rack and let cake cool for a minute or two before removing from the pan. Cool to room temperature on the rack before glazing.

White Chocolate Buttercream

(Adapted from Em’s Buttercream Dream Icing)

• 4 oz white chocolate, melted and cooled
  • 1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 1/2 cup shortening
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 tablespoons half and half
  • 3-1/2 cups powdered sugar
  • Toffee sauce (optional)
  1. In a heat proof bowl, over a pan of simmering water, gently melt the white chocolate. Allow to cool for 2 minutes or so.
  2. In an electric or stand mixer, cream the butter and shortening, then beat in white chocolate. Add the vanilla extract and half and half until well combined.
  3. Begin adding the powdered sugar, a little at a time, mixing thoroughly and scraping down the bowl after each addition. Continuing adding until you’ve reach the desired consistency.
  4. If desired, add in a bit of toffee sauce for added flavor.

Complete Assembly

This is just a little summary of what you should have done:

1. Using the cone method, cut out the center of each cupcake and fill with toffee sauce.
  2. With an icing spatula spread chocolate glaze over tops of cupcakes.
  3. Pipe on frosting, then drizzle with toffee sauce and add mini chocolate chips.

That’s all, folks! Now go and start making these cupcakes for yourself! I even encourage you to try out the original recipe and see how it works for you!

29 Comments on TwD: Chocolate, Chocolate Cupcakes

1. Nancy (n.o.e.)
    October 28, 2008 at 1:16 am (1999 days ago)

Whoa, these are so pretty. And detailed! And really, from here they look very seasonally-orange! Good job and thanks for the tips and recipes.

2. kim
    October 29, 2008 at 5:12 am (1998 days ago)

they look marvelous! what kind of tip do you use for your icing?

3. Marthe
    October 29, 2008 at 7:24 am (1998 days ago)

Wow, white chocolate buttercream and toffee sauce on top of these cupcakes?? Must taste amazing!

4. Becky
    October 29, 2008 at 10:41 am (1998 days ago)

ok, anything with toffee sauce on top sounds good to me, but these cupcakes are adorable! nice job.

5. ingrid
    October 29, 2008 at 1:13 pm (1998 days ago)

Hey, you did an awesome job on those! Very pretty!
    I like that you strayed from the norm and didn’t frost them with more chocolate. Bet they were tasty!!
    ~ingrid

6. Rebecca
    October 29, 2008 at 7:17 pm (1998 days ago)

Nancy – Aw thank you. I didn’t even think about how they are sort in season colors. I definitely didn’t plan it that way.

Kim – I usually stick to the bigger decorating tips such as 1M, but I believe I used #133 closed star tip for this one. I’m not at home so I can’t go look at the number, but I at least know it’s a large closed star tip.

Marthe – Mm it was very good. I wish I had bought more of that toffee sauce now.

Becky – Thank you! I really needed a good excuse (like cupcakes ) to try out the sauce and it was very goood.

Ingrid – I’m not too fond of an overdose of chocolate so I needed to add some sort of buttercream frosting. I’ve never actually liked having chocolate frosting at all though.

7. to make money online
    September 29, 2012 at 1:06 pm (567 days ago)

Good – I should definitely pronounce, impressed with your website. I had no trouble navigating through all the tabs and related information ended up being truly easy to do to access. I recently found what I hoped for before you know it at all. Quite unusual. Is likely to appreciate it for those who add forums or something, site theme . a tones way for your customer to communicate. Nice task.

8. ideas earn money
    September 30, 2012 at 4:05 am (566 days ago)

Hello there, You have done an incredible job. I’ll certainly digg it and in my view suggest to my friends. I am sure they’ll be benefited from this site.

9. mercurial superfly soccer cleats
    September 30, 2012 at 3:15 pm (566 days ago)

An interesting discussion is worth comment. I believe that you need to write extra on this topic, it may not be a taboo topic however generally people are not enough to talk on such topics. To the next. Cheers

10. Milissa Lenkiewicz
    September 30, 2012 at 11:42 pm (565 days ago)

Appreciating the time and energy you put into your website and detailed information you present. It’s awesome to come across a blog every once in a while that isn’t the same unwanted rehashed information. Fantastic read! I’ve saved your site and I’m including your RSS feeds to my Google account.

11. training business
    October 1, 2012 at 2:16 pm (565 days ago)

You can visit our website and get informations you need.

12. Rosa Cademartori
    October 1, 2012 at 4:12 pm (565 days ago)

When I initially commented I clicked the “Notify me when new comments are added” checkbox and now each time a comment is added I get four e-mails with the same comment. Is there any way you can remove me from that service? Thanks!

13. way to earn money quick
    October 3, 2012 at 9:16 am (563 days ago)

Keep up the excellent piece of work, I read few blog posts on this site and I think that your web site is real interesting and contains lots of wonderful info.

14. Http://Salonsdejardin.Net/
    July 29, 2013 at 2:36 am (264 days ago)

If you want to have the best, approach only to the leading wine rack suppliers.

If you are an active barbecuer and you need more direct light,
    then spotlights that are discretely located but
    focused on your cooking area are ideal. Without a doubt, outstanding looking websites
    are the result of powerful design choices.

15. Obuwie profilaktyczne
    August 9, 2013 at 1:53 pm (253 days ago)

Wonderful blog you have here but I was curious about if you knew of any message boards that cover
    the same topics discussed here? I’d really like to be a part of group where I can get suggestions from other experienced people that share the same interest. If you have any suggestions, please let me know. Kudos!

16. Materace Warszawa
    August 13, 2013 at 3:06 am (249 days ago)

Hello just wanted to give you a quick heads up. The words in your content seem to be running
    off the screen in Chrome. I’m not sure if this is a formatting issue or something to do with internet browser compatibility but I figured I’d post to
    let you know. The design look great though! Hope you get the issue resolved soon.
    Cheers

17. kristinekidd.com
    September 6, 2013 at 1:05 am (225 days ago)

Defining a particular region for the food
    choices of these types is not at all possible. How about making a delightful and easy to
    make chicken salad. Waldorf salad is one such salad
    that is an amalgamation of celery, apples, walnuts,
    and mayonnaise.

18. facebook covers quotes about haters
    September 23, 2013 at 3:11 am (208 days ago)

Excessive Tearing – Eyelashes that grow inward can irritate the front of the eye, leading
    to excessive watering from the eyes. Kindle cases and Kindle
    covers aren’t ultra expensive, but they aren’t cheap either.
    Helen Garrett, director of special projects for Amnesty International, said:
    ” It’s fair to say that the collection shows how deeply musicians feel about the beauty of Dylan’s music — across generations — and how passionate they are about supporting human rights. This handset covers a GSM quad band network along with the support of UMTS 900 and 2100 network.

19. Mobilewebdesignnow.com
    September 27, 2013 at 3:02 am (204 days ago)

Everyone knows that cell phone numbers are
    not provided in any phone book or phone directory and hence services like reverse cell telephone lists help these detectives a lot in un-hiding those people
    that make wrong use of their cell phone numbers. Moreover, socializing is also possible with
    i – Phone’s social media applications. And, some of this content will
    serve as immedate points of contact and interaction in a tangible way.
    This has in come back obtained more reputation to take the company
    level one leap forward. Strong website engineering begins with necessary planning on how exactly the
    website will be constructed and how all the moving parts and features will fit together to create a
    seamless website design.

20. Youtube.com
    October 6, 2013 at 5:36 pm (195 days ago)

They are very important pertaining to companies along with marketing corporations since these are generally suited for various
    other sites and also webpages. Those individuals that
    have a facebook fan page, it might be tedious for them
    to have more admirers start liking the page.
    Keep in mind that you will not be ready to do a Sponsored Tale right
    up until 2-three weeks following your Admirer Page has been set up.
    They are aware that females take up 51% of the worlds population, right.
    However, you need to provide proof that your funds were used to pay the taxes.

21. Mobile Notary Orange County
    October 10, 2013 at 9:46 am (191 days ago)

Business house delivery is also done with the
    same perfection. I walk back in and the same employee walks out of her office (all the inside walls
    for this bank are glass. Unless you choose to go to a Justice of the Peace a Notary presiding over the Wedding of your dreams offers many options.

Instructors that provide the whole package generally charge between $100 and $125
    for their class, sometimes this even includes your
    range fee for the day, and it’s worth it when they include all
    these services, because at the end of the class
    day you have a complete packet ready to mail to DPS without
    having to spend extra time, money, and effort running
    back and forth getting a photo, fingerprints, and notary services.
    But for speed and convenience, a traveling notary may be the perfect way to go.

22. www.haircolorgenerator.org
    October 12, 2013 at 3:35 am (189 days ago)

Now point your cursor at the top of the photo and then drag it all the
    way down across your hair. Again, at this point only your roots
    should have color; the length of your hair should still be dry.
    A qualified skin technician will know how to target problem
    areas better for the best results. You probably already have
    a range of how much you wish to pay. There is a great demand for its products in the world.

23. ge refrigerator repair
    October 14, 2013 at 6:02 pm (187 days ago)

It may be a problem that you can see and fix on your own,
    like cleaning a dirt condenser. Most people cannot
    even attempt to carry out any repairs and they leave the job to
    experts. Catching problems early also often means that they aren’t as serious (or expensive to fix) as they could be in the future.
    Sometimes, certain appliances will require a specialized tool.
    This is the best piece of advice I can give you concerning your washing machine.

24. Gertie
    October 18, 2013 at 8:34 am (183 days ago)

Doing it yourself, especially when you do not have the knowledge or the skill might lead to a serious accident.
    * You turn on the faucet to the hose expecting the water
    to come out the end of the hose; instead,
    the water blasts directly at you from the hose-faucet connection.

Simply remove the defective timer and unplug the harness connector.
    Cook it on low for 5 minutes, and let it sit for 5 to 10 additional minutes in the microwave.

Furthermore, inoperative home appliances may mean devastation for your home, though with experienced
    home appliance repair, you can find the dependable appliance performance you
    are worthy of.

25. palermomia.com
    November 26, 2013 at 4:00 am (144 days ago)

By the time people find their way to my protocols, their bacterial flora is usually unbalanced throughout their gastrointestinal tract.
    Children who do not benefit from such elimination diet for six months should revert back to a normal diet.
    Diseases are originating from something unquestionably going mistaken with the body.

26. free amazon Promo codes
    December 28, 2013 at 4:06 pm (112 days ago)

Internet sites eliminate the tedious and long process of waiting for the
    magazine and newspapers to offer discount privileges.
    There are perhaps just as many different types of supplies as
    there are businesses. Either approach, if you are to be purchasing jeans, t shirts, jackets, or
    any type of garments, a promo code will encourage you to save the money you
    intend to save.

27. Dwight
    January 7, 2014 at 8:56 am (102 days ago)

No lawyer can stop your criminal record from showing up in an internet background check that
    comes up in seconds with the click of a button.
    Millions of people normally assume that they never really
    need a lawyer because they are never involved in any kind of criminal activities.
    Dimitrius George 180th District Court of Harris County, Texas Charge: Aggravated Assault Charge: Aggravated Assault
    Verdict: NOT GUILTY Verdict: NOT GUILTY.

28. diet plan that works
    January 8, 2014 at 7:18 am (101 days ago)

I don’t try to baffle you with BS and impress you with jargon.

After several weeks, your prospect now trusts you as
    someone genuinely interested about helping them succeed and they ask you what
    network marketing company you’re in. Just think of various lose
    weight pills and vibrating belts for instance.