Hello, Baker!

TwD: Chocolate, Chocolate Cupcakes

[donotprint]

Once again it’s time for Tuesdays with Dorie and this week Clara of I Heart Food4Thought chose the Chocolate, Chocolate Cupcakes! These cupcakes are extra chocolatey because they are made with cocoa and melted chocolate, then covered in a luscious bittersweet chocolate glaze. I apparently missed the part where Clara urged us to decorate them in spirit of Halloween, but I guess that’s alright. Having never been a fan of Halloween, I secretly wouldn’t have wanted to do that anyways. Instead my double chocolate cupcakes were filled with toffee sauce (courtsey of Harry and David), covered in the chocolate glaze, frosted with white chocolate buttercream infused with a bit of toffee sauce, and then finally finished off with a drizzle of the sauce and mini chocolate chips.

As you can see here, there was a trend in the comments about the cake coming out dry, so I decided to alter the recipe a little bit. I didn’t exactly have time to make the original recipe in order to figure out what needed to be changed, so instead I blindly modified ingredients, crossing my fingers all the way. Luckily for me, my alterations proved to be a success because the cake came out fluffy and moist! However, I think if I ever planned to make this again, then I’d probably tweak a few more parts because it still wasn’t exactly what I had hoped for it to be.

[/donotprint]I decided to post my cupcake recipe because I altered it quite a bit, but for the chocolate glaze you will need to visit Clara’s website. Also, the toffee sauce I bought was premade from Harry and David, but I am sure that making something like Nigella’s Sticky Toffee Sauce would be just as good. I’d also assume that butterscotch would also work because it is so very similiar to toffee (the only difference is that the sugar is boiled to the soft crack stage for butterscotch and the hard crack stage for toffee). Then again, if you’re feeling extra lazy, then why not use caramel syrup?

Chocolate, Chocolate Cupcakes

(Adapted from Baking: From My Home to Yours)
Makes 12 cupcakes (I got around 16)

• 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (I used Valrhona)
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 large egg yolk
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 2 oz bittersweet chocolate, melted and cooled
  • 1/4 cup strong coffee or water
  1. Center a rack in the oven and preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare muffin pan with muffin cups or by greasing the pan.
  2. Whisk together the flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
  3. Working with a stand mixer, preferably fitted with a paddle attachment, or with a hand mixer in a large bowl, beat the butter at medium speed until soft and creamy.
  4. Add the sugars and beat for about 2 minutes, until it is blended into the butter. Add the egg, then the yolk, beating for 1 minute after each addition and scraping down the sides and bottom of the bowl with a rubber spatula as needed.
  5. Beat in the vanilla, then reduce the mixer speed to low and add half of the dry ingredients, mixing only until they disappear. Scrap down the bowl and add the sour cream and coffee, mixing until incorporated, then mix in the remaining dry ingredients.
  6. Scrape down the bowl, add the melted chocolate and mix it in with the rubber spatula. Divide the batter evenly among the muffin molds.
  7. Bake for 22 to 25 minutes (mine took 15-17), or until the tops of the cakes are dry and springy to the touch and a knife inserted into their centers comes out clean. Transfer the muffin pan to a rack and let cake cool for a minute or two before removing from the pan. Cool to room temperature on the rack before glazing.

White Chocolate Buttercream

(Adapted from Em’s Buttercream Dream Icing)

• 4 oz white chocolate, melted and cooled
  • 1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 1/2 cup shortening
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 tablespoons half and half
  • 3-1/2 cups powdered sugar
  • Toffee sauce (optional)
  1. In a heat proof bowl, over a pan of simmering water, gently melt the white chocolate. Allow to cool for 2 minutes or so.
  2. In an electric or stand mixer, cream the butter and shortening, then beat in white chocolate. Add the vanilla extract and half and half until well combined.
  3. Begin adding the powdered sugar, a little at a time, mixing thoroughly and scraping down the bowl after each addition. Continuing adding until you’ve reach the desired consistency.
  4. If desired, add in a bit of toffee sauce for added flavor.

Complete Assembly

This is just a little summary of what you should have done:

1. Using the cone method, cut out the center of each cupcake and fill with toffee sauce.
  2. With an icing spatula spread chocolate glaze over tops of cupcakes.
  3. Pipe on frosting, then drizzle with toffee sauce and add mini chocolate chips.

That’s all, folks! Now go and start making these cupcakes for yourself! I even encourage you to try out the original recipe and see how it works for you!

118 Comments on TwD: Chocolate, Chocolate Cupcakes

1. microsoft toolkit
    July 25, 2014 at 11:01 pm (7 days ago)

The initial problem which many companies face when they are using both
    Wordpress as well as Code – Igniter is when they want to incorporate Code – Igniter functionality
    into their WordPress theme files. For a free option, Celtx is a favorite of penniless screenwriters
    and film students. ” The GNUpdf library has, however, not been released yet, while Poppler has enjoyed wider use in applications such as Evince, which comes with the GNOME desktop environment, at the expense of relying on the GPLv2-licensed Xpdf code base that can’t be used by GPLv3 programs.

2. I thought about this
    July 26, 2014 at 5:14 am (7 days ago)

This is very interesting, You are a very skilled blogger.
    I have joined your feed and look forward to seeking more of your
    wonderful post. Also, I have shared your website in my social
    networks!

3. brunch best
    July 26, 2014 at 6:24 am (7 days ago)

Men and women who regularly have their first foods before eight in the morning tend to be healthier than men and women who skip that important first food
    of the day. I’d give “Bollywood” only one
    be learned. With the economic downturn, it is imperative that we become wiser consumers and this includes cutting on costs
    as much as we can.

4. Verla
    July 26, 2014 at 4:43 pm (6 days ago)

It’s great to go out with your friends, buy that new pair of jeans, or eat
    at that luxurious restaurant, but long term,
    it’s even greater not to. She was married several times and is reported to have killed her husbands and to have treated her slaves extremely badly
    until she herself was murdered. Small groups are where church relations start and where community starts.

5. forum exchange
    July 27, 2014 at 2:33 am (6 days ago)

make funds putting up blogs and message boards.

6. First of all I would like to say excellent blog!

I had a quick question that I’d like to ask if you do not mind.
    I was interested to find out how you center yourself and clear your thoughts before writing.
    I’ve had difficulty clearing my thoughts in getting my thoughts
    out there. I do enjoy writing but it just seems like
    the first 10 to 15 minutes are usually lost just trying to
    figure out how to begin. Any suggestions or hints?
    Many thanks!

7. https://Facebook.com/
    July 28, 2014 at 5:26 pm (4 days ago)

Weapons can vary fromprojectile attacks to traps as well as non-combative items like speed
    boosts. If your car came with a vented brake rotor, then the replacement part will be
    a vented brake rotor. Icecapede faired considerably well on the racing front winning multiple stakes such as the Grade 3 Nassau County Handicap and
    the Grade 2 William Du Pont, Jr Handicap. Well by now I’m sure
    you’re familiar with many of the symptoms. Activision released Call of Duty:
    Strike Team for mobile, and although it is a scaled down version of it’s console sibling ‘
    Call of Duty: Black Ops II – it was well received as a huge step in the right direction towards
    the console experience. But, when you choose your game
    to put down under this genre, make sure that it has got
    such features that compel the players to stick to it because
    there are plenty of games with intriguing features that are good enough to beat your
    game. Times when you would swap horses with a friend just too see
    if you could win with another horse.

8. xpsncodegenerator.com
    July 28, 2014 at 5:39 pm (4 days ago)

Wow that was unusual. I just wrote an incredibly long comment but
    after I clicked submit my comment didn’t appear.
    Grrrr… well I’m not writing all that over again.
    Anyway, just wanted to say excellent blog!

9. employee newsletters
    July 28, 2014 at 7:53 pm (4 days ago)

Workplace newsletters offers supervisor newsletters, and
    effective workplace Internal communication program with a company newsletter; Employee Newsletters.
    Ideal place to find an internal newsletter for employees or produce a company
    newsletter.

10. after effects
    July 29, 2014 at 5:59 pm (3 days ago)

I’m truly enjoying the design and layout of your website.

It’s a very easy on the eyes which makes it much more enjoyable for me to come here and visit more often. Did
    you hire out a developer to create your theme? Outstanding
    work!

11. MJ home
    July 30, 2014 at 1:52 am (3 days ago)

Hurrah, that’s what I was exploring for,
    what a material! present here at this weblog, thanks admin of this site.

12. storeintegrator.finityasset.net
    July 31, 2014 at 6:47 am (2 days ago)

It’s a shame you don’t have a donate button!
    I’d definitely donate to this superb blog! I guess for now i’ll settle for bookmarking and adding your RSS feed to my
    Google account. I look forward to new updates and will
    share this blog with my Facebook group. Chat soon!

13. control hair loss forever review
    July 31, 2014 at 10:42 am (2 days ago)

Hello mates, its impressive paragraph about teachingand entirely
    explained, keep it up all the time.

14. Street Race Rivals hack
    July 31, 2014 at 12:59 pm (1 day ago)

Mc – Carthy had voted for the Gulf of Tonkin Resolution in 1964 that gave war powers to Lyndon Johnson, but bby 1966, he
    came out in opposition to thee war in Vietnam. Mario Mc – Kellop has written about film onn Examiner forr the laszt three years
    and can be reached directly at mmckellop@hotmail.
    Still, Apple’s reasons for keeping such a giant cash stockpile
    may well be related to worries about the stabilkty of the U.

15. Lynette
    July 31, 2014 at 2:12 pm (1 day ago)

The adventures that are put out for it are first rate.
    Ooh_Books @brandg Corporate osned city-states are great.
    “We don’t know much about you or your employer, Mr.

16. ios zoom view
    July 31, 2014 at 10:49 pm (1 day ago)

Hi i am kavin, its my first occasion to commenting anyplace, when i
    read this paragraph i thought i could also make comment due to this
    brilliant post.

17. brunch foods
    August 1, 2014 at 12:30 pm (12 hours ago)

Its so homey and family oriented that it feels like its straight out of “My Big Fat Greek Wedding. I’d give “Bollywood” only one of two possible points here, since although “-ollywood” can evoke only “Hollywood,” what the “B” stands for has to be learned. But where do you go to when you get hungry in the morning.